YouTube is working on a new feature called “Shorts” that will replicate the short videos shared on popular social networking app TikTok, reports The Information.
YouTube’s Shorts will exist within the current YouTube mobile app and will see YouTube offering a feed of brief videos posted by YouTube users that will be able to take advantage of YouTube’s catalog of licensed music.
Chinese-owned social media app TikTok has soared in popularity in recent months, and it has been downloaded more than a billion times. It lets users create short music videos or short looping videos that other TikTok users can watch, and it has easy-to-use editing tools for syncing music to short video clips.
- DDoS attacks increase more than 500 percent over last yearThe second quarter of 2020 has seen a massive 570 percent increase in ‘bit-and-piece’ DDoS attacks compared … Read More
- Instagram patches bug that allowed hackers to take over users’ phones – Update Now!The bug would have allowed a bad actor to take over a user’s smartphone by sending a … Read More
- Malicious cyber actors are actively exploiting Zerologon Windows vulnerability – Microsoft warnsMicrosoft warned on Thursday that malicious cyber actors have been exploiting the dangerous Zerologon vulnerability in Windows … Read More
- Which console is right for you? Xbox Series X vs. PS5The Xbox Series X and PS5 from Microsoft and Sony, respectively, are due to arrive in 2020, … Read More
- PlayStation 5 will launch Nov. 12 at GHC2900Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 5 video game console will cost GHC3,000 and launch Nov. 12, the company said … Read More
Thus far, no other social networking app has been able to replicate TikTok’s success with a similar feature, though there have been some attempts. Facebook has been testing a short video feature called “Lasso” in select countries like Brazil, and has prototyped a similar feature in Instagram.
It’s not clear when YouTube might debut the new short video, but it is expected to come out “by the end of the year.”