YouTube is working on a new feature called “Shorts” that will replicate the short videos shared on popular social networking app TikTok, reports The Information.
YouTube’s Shorts will exist within the current YouTube mobile app and will see YouTube offering a feed of brief videos posted by YouTube users that will be able to take advantage of YouTube’s catalog of licensed music.
Chinese-owned social media app TikTok has soared in popularity in recent months, and it has been downloaded more than a billion times. It lets users create short music videos or short looping videos that other TikTok users can watch, and it has easy-to-use editing tools for syncing music to short video clips.
- TikTok removed nearly 90 million videos globally in the second half of 2020In total, from July 1 to December 31 last year, the company said it removed 89,132,938 videos … Read More
- Mastercard, MTN partner To enable payments on global platforms with Mobile MoneyMastercard and MTN announced a strategic partnership to enable millions of consumers in 16 countries across Africa to make global … Read More
- Using lessons learnt in 2020 to combat the security threats in 20212020 saw a boom in cyberattacks with cybercriminals taking advantage of the coronavirus pandemic and lockdown to … Read More
- Cybercrime and the pandemic – Read Now!A new report from BlackBerry shows that as our digital habits have changed over the past year cybercriminals have … Read More
- Here is why enterprise security isn’t just an IT problemThey say a chain is only as strong as its weakest link; when it comes to cybersecurity, … Read More
Thus far, no other social networking app has been able to replicate TikTok’s success with a similar feature, though there have been some attempts. Facebook has been testing a short video feature called “Lasso” in select countries like Brazil, and has prototyped a similar feature in Instagram.
It’s not clear when YouTube might debut the new short video, but it is expected to come out “by the end of the year.”