Uber is introducing “Uber Cash” to further promote cashless transactions across all Uber’s products. Uber Cash is facilitated by Flutterwave, an online payment solution, to ensure the easiest and most reliable payment options are made available for locals.
Riders can now prepay for their upcoming trips with Uber Cash, creating a stress-free way to travel, further adding to the convenience this payment method offers.
While existing payment options will still be available including cash (for rides only), debit card and gift cards, this new feature offers a new way to make and further control payment on Uber.
This payment method creates an app-specific account that can be preloaded with any amount, to be used on upcoming trips. The account can be topped-up via the user’s Ride account and used as and when needed on Uber, allowing the user to control the amount spent on the specific app, further helping them control their budget.
- Mastercard, MTN partner To enable payments on global platforms with Mobile MoneyMastercard and MTN announced a strategic partnership to enable millions of consumers in 16 … Read More
- Using lessons learnt in 2020 to combat the security threats in 20212020 saw a boom in cyberattacks with cybercriminals taking advantage of … Read More
- Cybercrime and the pandemic – Read Now!A new report from BlackBerry shows that as our digital habits have changed … Read More
- Bezos to Step Down as CEO after 30 years – Amazon Posts $126 Billion in RevenuesAmazon founder Jeff Bezos is to step down as chief executive … Read More
- Digital transactions In Ghana Increased By 103% In 2020According to the latest data from the Ghana Interbank Payment & Settlement … Read More
Top-ups are available and work similarly to that of an airtime increases. Riders are able to top-up their balance via a debit/ credit card, MTN, Airtel Tigo, Vodafone, a bank transfer, or Barter for payment of use. There is no need to use a physical card or cash. Once the account has been loaded, all credit is non-expiry meaning that locals can use it whenever they see fit.
Uber Cash limits potential cash deficits should either the driver, courier or user not have enough or exact change, as like a debit transaction, the exact amount will be taken. However, if there is some cash lying around that one wants to use, riders are able to pay for a trip with this and ask the driver to load change directly into their Uber Cash account.
How To Use Uber Cash
To use Uber Cash, simply follow the below steps:
- Open the app menu and tap on Payment
- Tap “Add funds”
- Change payment method to Uber Cash
- Choose a destination
- Request a ride
“Uber Cash is another way to create a seamless experience for all our users. This new option introduces a method of payment that is easily controllable, convenient and reliable” says Alon Lits, Director of Uber in Sub-Saharan Africa.