What you need to know
- Microsoft revealed a new logo for Microsoft Edge.
- The new logo looks less like Internet Explorer’s logo than the old Microsoft Edge logo.
- Microsoft revealed the new logo as part of a puzzle for fans.
People will confuse Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer less frequently thanks to a new Microsoft Edge logo. Microsoft revealed a new logo for the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge over the weekend through a fun puzzle for fans (via The Verge). The new logo features Fluent Design elements and looks less like the logo for Internet Explorer.
Microsoft’s Edge team spread a puzzle out for fans over the second half of last week. Fans around the web uncovered the secret meanings of pictograms, numerical codes, and other hints to find the new Microsoft Edge logo. One of the puzzles included rendering an Edge icon from OBJ model code. The end of the puzzle is a secret surfing game, surf being a pun because the new logo looks like a wave.
Source: Windows Central
William Devereux, senior project manager of Microsoft Edge, shared how to unlock edge://surf on Twitter.
- TikTok removed nearly 90 million videos globally in the second half of 2020
- Mastercard, MTN partner To enable payments on global platforms with Mobile Money
- Using lessons learnt in 2020 to combat the security threats in 2021
- Cybercrime and the pandemic – Read Now!
- Here is why enterprise security isn’t just an IT problem
To unlock edge://surf, create a Collection named “Microsoft Edge” and add four items that spell “S.U.R.F.” This currently only works in the Canary channel.
The new Microsoft Edge logo looks less like the logo of Internet Explorer. Some people confuse Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer due to the apps’ similar icons. This icon refresh will likely distinguish the browsers a bit more for people.
The Chromium version of Microsoft Edge has been in testing for several months, including Canary, Dev, and Beta versions of the browser. There is no release date for the new version of Microsoft Edge, but the new logo suggests that a public release could arrive in the near future.