Genuine Opinion: Yes, antivirus on Android can provide an extra layer of security for your phone, especially if your phone doesn’t get frequent security updates.
- Scan apps and websites: Kaspersky Internet Security ($12 per year at Kaspersky)
- Antivirus with smart watch controls: Bitdefender Mobile Secuirty ($15 per year at Bitdefender)
Risky apps and websites
Many people have used their Android phones with no security problems with no additional security software for years. While many will be able to continue this trend, there are a few things to keep in mind, especially if you are a less tech-savvy user or often help one.
The first thing is that Android is a bigger target than ever thanks to people moving much of their personal information to their mobile devices. Besides that, phishing scams are more clever than ever and can disguise themselves as notifications of or communications like texts, emails, or even just calls.
The second thing is how often your phone gets updated. Android security patches are released to address vulnerabilities found in the operating system. The problem is that not all phones get these updates promptly and some older phones may not get them at all.
- TikTok removed nearly 90 million videos globally in the second half of 2020In total, from July 1 to December 31 last year, the … Read More
- Mastercard, MTN partner To enable payments on global platforms with Mobile MoneyMastercard and MTN announced a strategic partnership to enable millions of consumers in 16 … Read More
- Using lessons learnt in 2020 to combat the security threats in 20212020 saw a boom in cyberattacks with cybercriminals taking advantage of … Read More
- Cybercrime and the pandemic – Read Now!A new report from BlackBerry shows that as our digital habits have changed … Read More
- Here is why enterprise security isn’t just an IT problemThey say a chain is only as strong as its weakest … Read More
Most antivirus apps on Android scan your downloads, including new apps, to check for threats. They can also check the sites you’re visiting in your web browser for known threats. This can include sites that are attempting to look like a legitimate app or website to trick you into giving away information.
Many paid antivirus apps also include helpful features like a device tracker in case of theft or even detection for new SIM cards. There are quite a few options for antivirus programs depending on your needs.
We recommend Kasperksy and Bitdefender since both are quick and efficient and work on your Android devices, including your smartwatch, if you need it.